Monday, November 26, 2007

Mission Statement

Dear Fellow Sports Fans,

We realize there are hundreds of thousands of sites for you to find sports news. In fact, we waste most of our own days visiting them. But while we love reading other viewpoints, we have some strong opinions ourselves. Our site’s name reflects our philosophy in giving you, the reader, the very best opinions, feedback and nagging. For quite some time now, giving 100 percent has been unacceptable, as the bar had been set at 110. Now, we are raising it that extra notch.

The purpose of our blog - Giving 111 Percent - is to do just what our title does. Take sports news or - in this case a phrase - and put a comical or unique twist on it. We are committed to praising those who need to be praised (Chad Johnson’s choreographer), criticizing those who need to be criticized (Scott Boras and the BCS) and putting in their place those who need to be put in their place (Bill Simmons). You want opinions you can't get anywhere else with a unique and entertaining spin? You’ve come to the right place. At least, until some show off decides to give 112%.

Enough with our mission statement that likely has you clicking back as fast as one can say “What’s OJ thinking?” Now, for the starting lineup:


Patrick DiSalvo – 21, Syracuse University.
Allegiances: Syracuse Orange, New York Yankees, New York Jets, New York Knicks

I’ve ranted about sports before in newspapers, relentlessly in my friend’s ears and even to women. I’m a nut. Like many college students - and fans - sports is a big part of my life. I grew up wishing each Christmas to see a massive Starter jacket under the tree, wore out my thumbs on NBA Jam, and now have graduated to the never ending cycle of ESPN and the Internet.

I’ve been around long enough to see the Jets on NBC, Jordan’s glory years, the great Charles Smith, the Tyson chomp and Olympic Stadium in Montreal. I may have missed out on leather helmets, but I’d like to think I’m a pretty seasoned fan.

I’m also a maniac in the stands. on the right). I love screaming boorishly all game long, and having a hoarse voice for days after contests. There are some other stories maybe not fit to print. I’m a nut. But I’d like to think I’m a pretty informed one. Let’s get going. I hope you enjoy the blog.


Andrew Vitelli – 21, University of Maryland
Allegiances: Maryland Terrapins, New York Yankees, New York Giants, New York Rangers, New York Knicks

I am a senior journalism major at Maryland. I am also from Hastings, NY, and pull for the Yankees, Giants, Rangers, and (hiding face) the Knicks, as well as the Terrapins.

My favorite sports movie is Any Given Sunday. I think that all major sports stadiums and arenas should sell Churros. I was once in a verbal confrontation with the mother of renowned madman Rasheed Wallace ('posing' on the right). I sometimes have nightmares involving John Starks and the Houston Rockets.

The worst moments of my sports life were Game 7 of the 2001 World Series, Game 7 of the 1994 NBA Finals, and the Divisional Playoff game between the Giants and 49ers in 2003. The best were the 1998 World Series, the 1994 Stanley Cup Finals, and Maryland beating Duke in 2005.

I’ll be writing about pretty much anything that I notice. If you like what you read, or you just want to hear my voice, I co-host a radio show at 11 pm on Wednesdays. Just go to www.wmucsports.com to listen. Anyways, I’ll try to keep it interesting.

Image Credits: wvu.edu, hoopsvibe.com

No comments: